Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Updates on life and signing up for a marrow registry

I'm having internet difficulties. It's in the wiring of our apartment. Sort of to be expected since we're talking about a place where you can't even keep the microwave in the kitchen because it'll short out the fridge. Despite this, I'm still attached to my apartment and I wouldn't change it for anything.

So how's the diet going? How's life?

Last Sunday marked the official end of week two. And I was still loosing weight so I upped the amount of fruit and carbs in my diet to slow that down. Which is good, because I'm hanging out at a healthy 125 now. I'm also doing some simple weight lifting exercises and dragged out the pull up bar again. I consider building muscle as protection of my investment.

I'm uncomfortable with the idea of losing too much weight. I've seen what happens to people who lose a fair amount of weight without building muscle in return. You lose your shape. I like having a bit of thickness in my body. So even though I'm fairly certain that the weight that is coming off of me is water, I really don't like the idea of my rib cage showing through my bust. And it will, if I give it the time. So I'm doing pushups. I realize that this is a completely shallow reason to start exercising, but I'm willing to take motivation wherever it comes.

Pushups are tough for me. Always have been. We've fought many a battle. I'm so SO close to being able to do a nice, beautiful, standard push up. Though I did find a good way to modify them two nights ago. My boyfriend agreed to spot me and we took the belt off my robe, then laced it under my chest. He stood over me, one leg on each side, and gave a little tug to the belt when I wasn't quite making it. I image it'd look pretty bad at the gym, but hey. Whatever you do in the privacy of your own home is yours.

Finally I signed up for the bone marrow registry yesterday. Their website is http://www.giftoflife.org/default.aspx. It was something I got pretty interested in when we were doing our autoimmune lectures in pathology. The likely hood that I would be a match to someone is pretty slim. A volunteer told me 1 in 10,000. However the idea that someone out there could share so much with me without being related at all is fascinating. I would be happy to give that person cells. Finding a match is such a slim chance. I really do believe that it's worth any potential hassle to have the widest possible data base. So naturally, I was really excited they were doing a drive at the hospital.

If you're curious how they do the typing on your cells, it's all by check swabs. You bush your cheek with the swab, liking brushing your teeth. Sing a nursery rhyme in your head while you're doing it and you'll be sure to get more than enough time to collect cells. Then you give them the swabs and they type your genetics. If you're 1 in 10,000, you may get to share life with someone some day. Better odds than the lottery.





No comments:

Post a Comment