Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Stirring Ant Hills.

I agreed to go to the gym tomorrow, at 6 AM before classes. Let's be real, today's morning routine consisted of waking up 10 minutes before I had to leave, and putting on a dress because I couldn't be bothered to match tops to bottoms. Couldn't be bothered with pants, period. ...Actually, class started a hour later than usual so today I got things done. THIS IS NOT THE NORM. I still wore the dress though.

So first I agree to run way farther than I ever thought possible, and now I'm going along with completely rewriting my sleeping schedule. Hey, motivation isn't easy to come by, so I might as well ride this out.

Besides, interesting things tend to happen more frequently when I go out of my comfort zone. Probably has something to do with novelty.

It may seem sort of dumb puppy to get my butt up to work out with a guy who's track record is to beeline straight for the cardio and plug in lectures on audio. That aside, I've got actual reasons here.

1. I actually like lifting, but I hate going by myself. Once I'm there, I work hard on my own and I don't need the motivation, but I have to GET there in the first place. Finding a gym partner is difficult even if you're going on their time. I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. Also, I don't back out on promises made to live human beings, so I must go. I know how I work, and I'm fine with cornering myself to get the results I want out of my behavior. This is the perfect motivational wave. I'm gonna ride it.

2. There are changes I need to make in my body. I've lost 10 pounds over the course of the last year (mainly through getting sick and then never gaining it back), and I'm pretty certain that a fair amount of that was muscle. And! I've been putting more hours swing dancing and some of the less good leads have a tendency to yank you around a bit. So I'd like to bolster my shoulder with a bit more meat so it doesn't get injured.

3. Despite the fact that I am unlikely to have any sort of extended contact or conversation with my wandering train traveler, there was something he said that I'm taking with me. He was raised Taoist and I asked him what that meant, because I had never had it explained well to me. Truthfully, I still haven't. But he said something about going with what the world is telling you to do. Which I liked. Kinda makes me think of my grandfather's words "Opportunity knocks, but she won't break the door down."

And it's true, since spring break I have been working hard to push myself out of my box. Because the world is telling me right now that I need to build a new social circle, stirring up every ant hill looking for the good opportunities that'll bite.* So I've been signing up for things, helping out classmate's pet projects by painting for them, and learning to dance. Hell, I've even started working on myself, making strides to organize and clean my space and updating my image in steps. The car is next. I want to set my life up to be open to letting people in.

The world is not telling me to wake up at 6 AM and go to the gym. The world's telling me to get the hell out of the house. The world's telling me to engage and explore. The world's telling me that any time I've ever made personal growth, I've been damn uncomfortable. And that is when my game is best. So go.

With that being said, it's past 9:30; I'm going to bed.

------

*Yes, stirring ant hills. This actually describes the way I interact with the world quite accurately, and at least half the reason I like hanging out with this guy. He is a stiff upper lip, Ravenclaw, surgery gunner who happens to have a rare, beautiful smile. And I love irritating him to get at it. And in the usual circumstances I can't, I just love to be irritating.**

**Welcome to ENFP courtship.


No comments:

Post a Comment