Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Sugar update.

An update on how I'm dealing with the cutting out sugar junk food stuff.

I believe I've been able to keep this up for a week, although I haven't been the best at recording my goals. Usually, I do that in an online site called superbetter.com. In many way's I've distilled it down to a glorified to-do list, but hey. I'm the type of person who needs a little glory in hum drum tasks in order to get them done.

But At least I know I've kept up with this starting Oct 10th, which makes today the start of a new week. One week down.

In this week, I have swerved two birthday cakes, free sodas, desk candy bowels, brownies for just because, a variety of treats my roommates have created, the discovery of peppermint bark in the freezer, and pumpkin pie I created on request for my boyfriend's station. Then I volunteered for a walk over the weekend and helped set up a food table for participants: cake, doughnuts, and strawberry cream bagels! The amount of sweet choices in our society are overwhelming. I don't even count the stuff you've got to buy here. The pit of walmart and grocery stores could count for at least another 3 or 4 exposures.

Sigh. That was all free sugar. Free sugar, every single day of the week.

However, I do know that my tastebuds are changing a bit. Since I'm only avoiding sugary junkfood, I'm still fine with eating chips or salty snacks if they're available. I've never had crazy cravings over those and I'm rarely tempted to buy them. So I went to a lunch presentation yesterday and there were BBQ chips. They tasted really sugary. Sweeter than salty. I'm not going to beat myself up about them, but I will add them to the list of sugary junk foods for now. I also find my plain yogurt really palatable, and slightly sweet. Plain yogurt isn't really something that stuck out to me as palatable the first time I tried it. Or the second.

So the sugar cravings are getting better. But there's going to be MORE birthday cakes and brownies this weekend. Because everyone is born in October. Yep, that's why the holiday season starts early in my mind. October brings on fall treats, but also every other friend of yours with a birthday. Then Halloween happens and you've got candy coming out of your ears until Thanksgiving. Which sets you up for a week until the Christmas candies and cookies are baked and mailed. Then Christmas rolls around and with one last hurrah we get inundated with enough sweets to last up to at least Jan 1st...the day of reckoning and resolutions.

And by that time, we all try to go cold turkey against 4 months of steady sugar and we've just set ourselves up for Fail.

It's getting better. I've got this one.

2 comments:

  1. The candy is not so hard to resist because it's everywhere, but the homemade treats are always tempting. Good for you for staying strong. I wouldn't have thought of BBQ chips as sugary but it does make sense. BBQ sauce is a combination of hot and sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I don't taste the hot too much in BBQ. Just ketchup, brown sugar, and mystery.

      Delete