Monday, October 1, 2012

I'm calling this one snoozapalooza.

It's good to have a friend. Someone to listen to you vent and vents with. I'm really thankful for that. It's my food for the soul. Something I've always seemed to need more than sleep. 

So meh, as usual, I'm starting my quest for better sleep at the beginning....where I seem to sterotypically forget that I'm trying to better myself, and it becomes obvious exactly what square I'm at. Getting screen time in the middle of the night and winding myself up socializing. 

But it's worth it! I'm in a very happy mood right now. I'm set to get about 7 hours of sleep and that's really not so bad considering. It's been a great weekend to recharge. 

I'm calling this quest snoozapalooza. Even though I realize that a lot of my last troubles happened from my eating, the sleep issue is more pressing for me now. Besides sleep is linked to clock genes, which are linked to synchronizing your entire metabolism. It is really cool stuff. Your body pre prepares you for your breakfast in the morning before you even get up, and for the rest of the day as well. And it's all controlled by the light that comes in through your eyes. Disrupt a mouse's clock genes through genetics or just screwing up their light dark schedule and they start building up metabolic disorders, which is fancy talk for weight issues, diabetes, and the rest of the associated list. 

Sleep is more than just for comfort. It's friggin important. It's also one of the first things I throw out of the window when I get into my "coping cactus"* funk. It also seems to precipitate my most disordered eating. It only makes sense to tackle that first.

So ok snoozapalooza. Let's go. 

------------

*Coping cactus: That's your bad guy where you treat your body like a neglected houseplant, the cactus, in favor of getting other things done. Sleep wrong, eat wrong, drink wrong, live as a shell. 

2 comments:

  1. I have had to juggle things to get my sleep in. Screen Zombie time is the biggest culprit, wasting time looking at facebook, etc., for no good reason. But I also decided that evening walks might work better than morning walks, given our current schedule.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Screens. Yeah, that's the slayer. One of the awful things for me is web comics. I've been reading a list full ever since I was in high school. But a lot of them update at midnight. Which means that if I'm already up, I push it that much longer.

      Delete