Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Ugggg....Craving sugar.

Totally craving crap right now. I'm also feeling very grumpy, like a bratty child. Because I want sugar. Not just sugar, strait up crap. McDonalds burger and chicken nuggets. These aren't things I normally go for, but today my body has decided to take out all the heavy hitters. You will not just crave sugary junk food...you will crave the lowest of lows. McDonalds. 

Sour Twizzlers. Dark chocolate. And as long as we're fantasizing, I'd like some fat gummy bears the size of an egg. I think about egg sized gummy bears quite frequently. 

Sugar cravings are supposed to pass if you just tough them out. It's funny, my boyfriend told me that when he went through this process he felt "suffocated" for bread, rice, and pasta. I could care less about those. I just want straight up crap. You know, I was telling myself that this was the perfect time of year to start this up because there's such a nice overlap of so many veggies in season right now. But the Halloween candy is harrowing.

The good news is, I think I've over done it on the food. I don't anticipate spending as much as I did on this new menu*. The more I think about it, the more I realize that my 130 spent is probably going to be closer to two weeks of food for me, not one. Which is great for my pocket book!

Also tomorrow, my CSA is coming in for the first week. Yep, bought into a crop share. Which is great! But there's so much food in the fridge already. This shall be interesting. My boyfriend is coming down tomorrow. I'm going to try to stuff him with as much of my extra food as possible.

I'm either full and craving sweets, or ravenous and craving anything. As my body is adjusting to utilizing more fats, I'm more full and therefore I'm craving sweets. Eventually my brain will catch up to this madness. I just gotta wait it out.

-----

*I always seem to come up with new words to describe diet, or anything that sounds too weight loss obsessed like cutting sugar. Sometimes I take a second look at what I just said and geeze, it sounds pretentious. But there's a reason behind why I've developed this habit. 

If I use the word diet, it is typically in the blandest way possible. To me, diet is just a catch all term for whatever one particular person happens to eat on a regular basis. But more often than not, people are hypersensitive to the word diet, and they immediately think I'm trying to lose weight in the most unhealthy way possible if I use the word in a sentence. While I'm no fitness model, I certainly don't need to lose weight. I'm well aware. So I dance all around certain words because I'm bound to get a lecture on how I don't need to lose weight if I use the damn word completely scientifically. "My diet is ____", "I'm changing my diet", whatever. Then you have to go through a bunch of patronizing "Oh no! Don't do that! You're much too skinny already!" Or worse, you feel like you've alienated someone because you triggered their own issues and now they're playing the comparison game in their head. I really don't want that.

More often than not, I just want to smack someone upside the head because those sorts of comments make me feel like assumptions have been made that I don't identify with. That I need to be put on watch because I'm on the verge of self destructive behavior. It's patronizing to treat me like a teen girl who can't tell the difference between magazines and realistic expectations. The same thing happens when I talk about "improving my body". So I've learned to be specific with that too. I'll be thinking VO2 max, strength, power, and functional stuff. They'll be thinking...OMG EDNOS. Quick! Reverse it with friendship and finger shaking!

Words. They're loaded. Now I say crap like "resetting my taste buds" instead of "cutting sugar" without even thinking about it. And the same people that freaked out on me before, nod their head like everything makes sense. Yeesh. They mean well, but sometimes I'm not sure who is coddling who.

2 comments:

  1. As a future doctor, it seems quite sensible for you to be eating as healthfully as possible.

    Last year I tried the "Live Below the Line" challenge. It was hard to eat healthy food at that cost, but instead of craving fruit or vegetables, I craved a big, sugary Starbucks coffee drink. I think sugar is a hard one to kick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked out the challenge and it's a pretty stringent one at 1.50 a day. I think the cheapest I've ever gone sustainably is probably about 25 dollars a week. Generally I never bought any meat that was above 1.25 a pound and no vegetables or fruit above 1.50 a pound at that time. So lots of whole chickens that get picked clean and turned into lentil soup. Anything that is shelf stable or freezable gets stocked up on when it's on sale. You only drink water from the tap, and you don't buy anything processed.

      But I'm not sure if I'd be able to do it again, because many of the foods I eat have gone up in price recently. I used to be able to get whole chickens for 79 cents a pound and bananas for 49 cents a pound. They're now 1.25 a pound and 79 cents a pound respectively. I've also tried couponing, but it doesn't help much when you shop the periphery of the store.

      I've had to stop being so frugal with my food because it can get pretty consuming.

      If you posted about you're live below the line challenge, I'd love to see the links. I have to give you props for that.

      Delete